People volunteer for many different reasons. They may wish to become actively involved in giving back to the community, build lasting relationships, developing new skills, perform school community service hours, making great use of their time and talents, lifting spirits when people are sick, or just because it makes you feel good about yourself. Whatever the reason, volunteers make a difference.
Volunteers in the South Texas Health System range in age from 15 years old to 90 plus. They are students, retirees, those with special skills who have extra time and individuals who are fully employed.
The South Texas Health System has two groups of volunteers:
- Auxiliary — Comprised of adult men and women who donate not only their time in departments throughout the hospital, but also giving out scholarships, continuing education and donations to employees and other non-for-profit organizations in the community. The Auxiliary is able to give generous financial donations each year through money raised from the gift shop and various fundraising projects.
- Junior Volunteers — Comprised of young men and women (15 years minimum), many from local high schools, South Texas College and the University of Texas Pan American, who volunteer for educational goals and work experience. Volunteers are accepted three times per year for fall, spring or summer semester placement. Junior volunteers serve about 48 hours per semester or 4 hours per week.
The Auxiliary to South Texas Health System accepts applications year round, but onboards new volunteers at the start of each fall, spring and summer. To ensure your application is considered, please follow the suggested application deadlines:
- Fall start: submit by August 15
- Spring start: submit by December 15
- Summer start: submit by May 1
You will be contacted by the Director of Volunteer Services once your submission is reviewed. Each volunteer will go through an orientation and be placed in areas of interest and need. If you have questions, please contact Volunteer Services at 956-388-2020.
Because South Texas Health System is the largest hospital system in the Rio Grande Valley, there are opportunities to volunteer at all of the system's hospitals:
- Edinburg Children's Hospital
- Edinburg Regional Medical Center
- McAllen Heart Hospital
- McAllen Medical Center
- South Texas Health System ER at Mission
- South Texas Health System ER at Weslaco
As a volunteer, you can choose from opportunities in the following areas:
- Patient Care — Choose from these volunteer areas: Oncology, Medical, Orthopedics, Telemetry, Surgical, OB/GYN, Nursery, Pediatrics, Skilled and Rehab nursing. Interact with nurses and support staff, answer the phone, pick up meal trays, make up chart packs, refill water pitchers, serve drinks, file lab sheets, and help escort patients.
- Emergency Services — Help patients fill out triage forms, assist visitors, get supplies, help to discharge patients and manage waiting areas.
- Dietetics — Conduct patient surveys and assist dieticians.
- Physical Therapy — Assist physical therapists.
- Information Desk — Welcome patients, visitors and families to the hospital. Answer phones, give directions, and deliver flowers and mail to patients.
- Gift Shop — Assist hospital guests and staff with purchases, use a cash register, and help stock merchandise.
- Transport/Escort — Help patients in wheelchairs. Deliver labs, medical records supplies and escort visitors.
- Clerical — Help with a variety of duties such as filing, collating, addressing and stuffing envelopes, answering phones and running errands. Some tasks require computer skills.
- Surgery/ICU/CCU Waiting Areas — Welcome and keep family members and friends informed about patients’ progress.
You can volunteer during the day, in the evening or on weekends. If you have four hours a week to make a difference in someone’s life, please join the two South Texas Health System Volunteer Organizations.
- 20 percent discount on gift items in the Gift Shop
- $5 meal voucher for the cafeteria
- Access to hospital educational programs, in-services and workshops
- Free flu shot and TB testing