About South Texas Health System
South Texas Health System (STHS) is a regional multi-hospital system that has earned a reputation for excellence in providing quality healthcare to residents of the Rio Grande Valley. STHS offers a comprehensive array of medical services, including cardiovascular, maternity and women's health, emergency and surgical care, along with specialty programs in chest pain, pediatrics, diabetes, wound care, bariatric surgery, orthopedics, neurosurgery, rehabilitation and behavioral health services. View our facilities >
South Texas Health System has compiled a distinguished list of firsts:
- First to offer private behavioral health inpatient treatment in the Rio Grande Valley
- First neonatal surgery center in the Valley
- First designated Level III Trauma Center in Hidalgo County
- First and only freestanding hospital for children in the Rio Grande Valley
Air ambulance services are stationed at STHS McAllen. South Texas Air Med is the largest independently owned air medical provider in the United States. STHS McAllen, STHS Heart, STHS Edinburg and STHS Childrens are equipped with helipads.
About South Texas Air Med
South Texas Air Med has launched the availability of ground critical care units and fixed wing propellor aircraft ambulance services, which are unmatched in our medical profession in the Valley. They are the first 911 and patient transfer firm south of San Antonio which has this superior quality of services. They are licensed and recognized by the Texas Department of State Health Services, and their MICU licensed ambulances are equipped with the latest technology.
South Texas Health System also provides community outreach programs. Call our South Texas Health System Reserve and Learn Center at 800-879-1033 for information on our Advantage Programs and health and wellness programs for individuals of all ages.
South Texas Health System is owned and operated by a subsidiary of Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS). Headquartered in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, UHS is one of the largest and most innovative healthcare management companies in the nation.
South Texas Health System is an integrated system of care comprised of six hospitals, several freestanding emergency rooms, multiple physician practices and a broad variety of outpatient services.
South Texas Health System Education Department offers continuing education for the medical and nursing staff. We are accredited by the Texas Medical Association as a provider of Continuing Medical Education (CME) and recognized by the Texas Nurses Association as an Approved Provider Organization for Continuing Nursing Education (CNE). We offer several CME conferences throughout the year, with topics related to family practice, infectious disease and ethics.
CNE offerings through the education department consist of STEMI, ED triage, wound care, fall prevention and litigation process.
Uninsured and Underinsured Patient Education
South Texas Health System is committed to helping uninsured patients qualify for local and state health benefit programs, offering on-site benefit education and Medicaid enrollment assistance. Programs include:
- Social Security Disability Program
- Crime Victims Financial Counselors
- Hidalgo County Program
- Internal Charity Program
South Texas Health System is dedicated to achieving the highest quality of compassionate care for you and your family through innovation and advanced technology. We recognize that a philosophy of Service Excellence combined with visionary leadership is our future if we are to maintain the position as the region’s healthcare leader.
To provide superior quality healthcare services that:
- Patients recommend to families and friends
- Physicians prefer for their patients
- Purchasers select for their clients
- Employees are proud of
- Investors seek for long-term returns
Board of Directors
- J. Humberto Rodriguez — Board Chairman
- Mary Alice Reyes, EdD — Board Vice Chairman
- Carlos Giraldo, MD — Vice Chief of Medical Staff
- Dalinda Guillen
- Jose Eddie Saenz, PE
- Adrian Villarreal
- Chuck Stark — Regional Vice President, South Texas
- Todd Mann — CEO, STHS McAllen
- Lance Ames — CEO, STHS Edinburg and STHS Children's
- Joe Rodriguez — CEO, South Texas Behavioral Health Center
- Brenda Ivory — CEO, South Texas Health System Heart
- Rosana Rodriquez — Board Executive Assistant
- Ricardo Irizarry, MD — Board-certified Psychiatrist
- Martha Cano, MD — Family Medicine
- Maria Camacho, MD — Pediatric Critical Care Medicine Specialist
- Ramiro Caballero, MD — Neonatologist