About South Texas Health System
South Texas Health System (STHS) is a regional multi-hospital system that has earned a reputation for excellence in providing quality healthcare to residents of the Rio Grande Valley. STHS offers a comprehensive array of medical services, including cardiovascular, maternity and women's health, emergency and surgical care, along with specialty programs in chest pain, pediatrics, diabetes, wound care, bariatric surgery, orthopedics, neurosurgery, rehabilitation and behavioral health services.
South Texas Health System has compiled a distinguished list of firsts:
- First to offer private behavioral health inpatient treatment in the Rio Grande Valley
- First neonatal surgery center in the Valley
- First designated Level III Trauma Center in Hidalgo County
- First and only freestanding hospital for children in the Rio Grande Valley
South Texas Health System is an integrated system of care comprised of six hospitals, several freestanding emergency rooms, multiple physician practices and a broad variety of outpatient services.
Air ambulance services are stationed at McAllen Medical Center. Air Evac Life Team is the largest independently owned air medical provider in the United States. McAllen Medical Center, McAllen Heart Hospital, Edinburg Regional Medical Center and Edinburg Childrens Hospital are equipped with helipads.
South Texas Health System also provides community outreach programs. Call our South Texas Health System Reserve and Learn Center at 800-879-1033 for information on our Advantage Programs and health and wellness programs for individuals of all ages.
South Texas Health System is owned and operated by a subsidiary of Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS). Headquartered in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, UHS is one of the largest and most innovative healthcare management companies in the nation.
South Texas Health System Education Department offers continuing education for the medical and nursing staff. We are accredited by the Texas Medical Association as a provider of Continuing Medical Education (CME) and recognized by the Texas Nurses Association as an Approved Provider Organization for Continuing Nursing Education (CNE). We offer several CME conferences throughout the year, with topics related to family practice, infectious disease and ethics.
CNE offerings through the education department consist of STEMI, ED triage, wound care, fall prevention and litigation process.
Uninsured and Underinsured Patient Education
South Texas Health System is committed to helping uninsured patients qualify for local and state health benefit programs, offering on-site benefit education and Medicaid enrollment assistance. Programs include:
- Social Security Disability Program
- Crime Victims Financial Counselors
- Hidalgo County Program
- Internal Charity Program
South Texas Health System is dedicated to achieving the highest quality of compassionate care for you and your family through innovation and advanced technology. We recognize that a philosophy of Service Excellence combined with visionary leadership is our future if we are to maintain the position as the region’s healthcare leader.
To provide superior quality healthcare services that:
- Patients recommend to families and friends
- Physicians prefer for their patients
- Purchasers select for their clients
- Employees are proud of
- Investors seek for long-term returns
Board of Directors
- J. Humberto Rodriguez — Board Chairman
- Mary Alice Reyes, EdD — Board Vice Chairman
- Rolando Yarritu, MD — Board Secretary
- Suresh Ratnam, MD — Chief of Medical Staff
- Carlos Giraldo, MD — Vice Chief of Medical Staff
- Ralph Alhalel, MD
- Dalinda Guillen
- Sunand Kallumadanda, MD
- Alex Meade
- Maria Elena Rodriguez-De Lima, MD
- Eddie Saenz, PE
- Adrian Villarreal
- Chuck Stark — Regional Vice President, South Texas
- Todd Mann — CEO, McAllen Medical Center
- Lance Ames — Interim CEO, Edinburg Regional Medical Center / Edinburg Children's Hospital
- Joe Rodriguez — CEO, South Texas Behavioral Health Center
- Rosana Rodriquez — Board Exec. Assistant