Discover the Many Benefits of Factoring Value into the Care Equation
June 7, 2022
South Texas Health System Is a Value-Based Care Organization
What is value-based care and what does it mean for patients?
Value-based care is a healthcare delivery model in which providers, including hospitals and physicians, are focused on the best patient health outcomes.
At South Texas Health System®, we are keenly focused on lowering the cost of care at every facility as part our value-based medicine program. Taking this approach seeks to advance the triple aims of:
- Providing better care for individuals
- Improving population health management strategies
- Reducing healthcare costs.
Goals of this initiative include:
- Lower costs
- Higher patient satisfaction
- Reduced medical errors
- Better-informed patients
- Receive payments based on health outcomes
Analytics and Other Approaches Help Improve Efficiencies and Optimize Care
Following are just a few of the ways South Texas Health System seeks to further our value-based initiatives:
- In our efforts to improve the overall care process, we go far beyond a simple review of care and services. Rather, we use real-time analytics and engage care delivery partners to help uncover better opportunities. We reach into the community to identify better-performing, post-acute providers and join with them to improve care transitions, lower the cost of care, and optimize patient outcomes.
- We help reduce costs by offering a wide range of key services in an outpatient setting, when appropriate, including physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, sleep studies, wound care, intensive cardiac rehabilitation and physician office clinics.
- Our network of facilities offers coverage that extends from Weslaco and Alamo to the east, to Mission and Ware Road to the west, up to Monte Cristo in the north, and into McAllen and Edinburg. As the largest healthcare system south of San Antonio, we are committed to offering accessible care.
- We recognize that a child’s hospital admission affects not only the entire family, but also the parent’s employer who must accommodate parents’ need for time away from work. It is for this reason that South Texas Health System Children’s is committed to offering more pediatric subspecialty services locally. By doing so, we can continue to help parents and their children stay in the Valley when specialized hospital care is needed.
- We offer employers innovative solutions that help their employees achieve wellness and maintain healthier lifestyles. From concierge-level services for an employee injured on the job to preferred pricing for self-insured employers, our occupational health services focus on keeping employees safe and on the job.
- We offer the “best partner” proposition through data sharing and analytics to help local physicians obtain, and maintain, better publicly reported profiles.
These are just a few of the many ways that South Texas Health System is working to provide higher quality care at a lower cost. In short, we believe that value-based care is an effective approach for improving healthcare quality for our patients and helping to prevent problems before they begin.
The bottom line? Our commitment to value-based medicine is one more way South Texas Health System demonstrates that your health is our purpose.