U.S. News & World Report Names South Texas Health System Edinburg Among the Best
November 1, 2022
U.S News & World Report has named South Texas Health System Edinburg as a Best Regional Hospital in Texas for 2022-23. In addition to ranking in the Top 25 in the state, STHS Edinburg is the only facility or system in the Rio Grande Valley to make the list.
The well-regarded magazine’s annual listing is designed to assist patients and their doctors in making informed decisions about where to receive care for challenging health conditions and common elective procedures.
Chuck Stark, South Texas Health System’s Regional Vice President, says, “I am proud of the care and compassion our medical, clinical and support staff delivers to the community at STHS Edinburg and its sister facilities.”
What Qualifies a Facility to Be Named One of the Best?
To be considered among this year's Best Regional Hospitals, a hospital or healthcare system had to outperform in at least seven of the procedures and conditions U.S. News & World Report evaluates, including:
- Risk-adjusted survival
- Patient experience
- Level of nursing care, and
- How successfully each hospital gets patients back home
The magazine evaluated each of the hospital’s performances using a variety of measures from data provided by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, American Hospital Association, professional organizations, and medical specialists.
Receiving Recognition for High Performance
As the only ranked hospital in the Rio Grande Valley, South Texas Health System Edinburg was also recognized as “high performing” for services related to:
- Kidney failure
- Heart attack
- Heart failure
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Meeting the Healthcare Needs of the Community
As a designated Level IV trauma center, accredited chest pain center, and certified stroke center, South Texas Health System Edinburg serves critical healthcare needs in the community. Here patients will also find the Maternity Center at STHS Edinburg, part of the facility’s The Women’s Corner, featuring an inviting environment, numerous amenities and family-centered maternity care. In addition to the community’s 3T MRI imaging suite, the facility is proud to offer nationally recognized robotic surgery and other minimally invasive procedures, as well as advanced wound care and sleep study and treatment services.
South Texas Health System Edinburg Is “Towering Forward”
South Texas Health System Edinburg recently opened a new patient tower, bringing more rooms and expanded services to the community.
This new, $104 million tower is part of South Texas Health System’s commitment to both the City of Edinburg and the rest of the Rio Grande Valley. Highlights of the new tower include:
- 59 new inpatient beds with 55 more reserved for future growth.
- Updated inpatient rooms created with patient experience and safety in mind, including rounded corners, large windows, additional railings and more.
- An enhanced emergency department strategically placed at the intersection of Trenton and Sugar roads, giving paramedics and the community easier access to an ER that features 16 treatment rooms and two trauma bays.
- An upgraded Intensive Care Unit (ICU) with 16 new beds.
- Expanded rehabilitation services with 28 new beds and a rehab gym.
- A modern imaging suite, including MRI, ultrasound and mammography spaces, and a new 3D mammogram machine.
- An expanded respiratory department with larger treatment spaces.